What kids are really doing when they climb trees.

by Sarah - Craft Invaders

This evening I sat my kids down, and asked them how they go about climbing a tree. This is what they told me …

What kids are really doing when they climb trees. The next time you watch a kid climb a tree, sit back and enjoy it - you are watching the fudaments of management theory at work!

1. First they SEE a tree that might be good for climbing

2. They THINK and decide if it is a good tree for climbing

3. They PLAN how they will tackle the first bit (my daughter said she plans it in eighths)

4. They DO the first bit that they had planned.

5. They then told me they repeat the process, until they get to the ultimate point they wanted to reach, or get stuck.

6. They then PLAN how to get unstuck or down

7. They then DO the unsticking (their words not mine!)

8. They repeat the process until down or stuck again

9. If all else fails call Dad

10. They also told me it is easier if you work as a team

Put this into adult language and you have Assess – Plan – Implement – Evaluate probably the most fundamental of all management models. Add in the teamwork, and knowing when to refer to a higher authority and the kids are starting to sound like they have Management Theory nailed. So the next time you watch a kid climb a tree, sit back and enjoy it – you are watching the fundamentals of management theory at work!

What kids are really doing when they climb trees. The next time you watch a kid climb a tree, sit back and enjoy it - it's management theory in a nutshell!

” I like climbing trees because when I’m high enough I can pretend it’s a secret base. The cars that go past the house have invaders inside, and I need to hide in the leaves”

related articles

69 comments

Lyndsey O'Halloran June 18, 2016 - 10:56 am

I love that they have this quite detailed plan about something so simple. I’ve not once climbed a tree and don’t think I’ll be starting any time soon.

Sarah - Craft Invaders June 19, 2016 - 2:42 pm

Have to admit it’s been a while since I last climbed a tree – think I’d probably over analyse it now 🙂

Lynda Appuhamy June 18, 2016 - 8:17 am

I Love this analysis. You have really identified why every child should be climbing a tree. They are always a feature of our walks and usually the highlight. Next time i shall be asking my son to tell me what he is doing & how he’s feeling Thank you for the inspiration. #countrykids

Sarah - Craft Invaders June 19, 2016 - 2:41 pm

Thank you for your kind comment Lynda. It’s lovely how kids are constantly learning while they are doing isn’t it 🙂

Fiona Cambouropoulos June 18, 2016 - 12:59 am

We should turn to kids for our answers more often! I think if I asked mine they would say the same as yours and I love to watch them helping each other up a tree, it is definitely team work.

Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

Sarah - Craft Invaders June 19, 2016 - 2:38 pm

I agree Fiona – they say that kids are much better at thinking around problems compared to adults, I guess we get bogged down with habit and convention as we get older 🙂

Lydia C. Lee June 18, 2016 - 12:21 am

Nice one. All those skills in a simple fun act.

Sarah - Craft Invaders June 19, 2016 - 2:36 pm

Makes you realise how important playing is for kids 🙂

Gemma Nuttall June 16, 2016 - 2:26 pm

I love this!! It’s the simplest of things for kids to want to do but you never really stop and think about what’s happening in their brains as they’re doing it.
Truly brilliant as always.x

Sarah - Craft Invaders June 17, 2016 - 4:12 pm

Thanks Gemma. I was actually planning a different post, but when they started telling me about it I thought it was fascinating – kid’s brains really are amazing 🙂

1 2 3 7