How to Make Wonderful Herbal Bath Soaks at Home

by Sarah - Craft Invaders

Today was the last day of the school year, and like many people, we enjoyed making a little home made gift to thank our teachers for all their hard work. This year the children have had lots of fun making Herbal Bath Soaks. We used little muslin drawstring bags, which the kids decorated with stamps using our washable, home made fabric paint – we love how they turned out, and even stamped little cards to match.

These wonderful herbal bath soaks are great fun to make, fabulous for your health and well-being and can be tailored to suit the recipient.

We have been learning lots about herbs and their uses over the last few months. There are so many plants that have a positive action on your skin, making them perfect to use in bath products. Our 21 Botanicals that are fabulous for your skin post doesn’t cover every single one, but will certainly give you a good starting point if you’d like to learn a little more.

What we used to make our Herbal Bath Soaks

We have 2 sizes of these little bags, so decided to make two different herbal mixtures to fill them. For the bigger bags we made a relaxation soak, and for the tiny ones we put together a beautiful skin renewal mix.

Cotton Muslin Bags (Amazon affiliate link)

A selection of dried herbs (Amazon affiliate link)

Our Relax mix combines Oats, Hops, Lavender and Chamomile to sooth and moisturise the skin, and would be perfect to have as a relaxing soak at the end of a hard day, or just before bed to promote a fabulous night’s sleep.

While our Renew mix contains Linden Flowers, Meadowsweet, Hibiscus, Lemon Verbena, Chamomile, Rose, Honeysuckle, Red Clover and Calendula for their beautifying, and anti-aging properties, as well as their wonderful fragrance.

We then popped all our herbal bath soaks into a  larger cotton bag, with our home-made cards and a little note telling our recipients about what is in their gift – It is important to always provide a list of ingredients for all home-made gifts in case of any sensitivities.

All the children’s teachers looked delighted with their home-made herbal bath soaks, and we think it’s a lovely way to show our appreciation for everything they do. For more home-made gift inspiration why not check out our Best Homemade Reed Diffuser Oil Recipes, our Rosemary and Peppermint Foot Scrub, or our wonderful Bath Fizzes.

related articles

41 comments

Nikki Frank-Hamilton July 31, 2016 - 6:29 pm

These look like so much fun. I think I’m going to make some for my kids and myself as Christmas gifts. How did you dry yours? In the microwave or by hanging them? And do you let the flower die first and then collect or while they are still alive? I am so curious! LOL There are some cute little burlap bags at Walmart, I wonder if I could use those? Or if they are treated with something that you wouldn’t want in your bath? I may have some leftover material from pillows that I could use. You place these bags in the bath directly, correct? Can you use them more than once? Obviously I am full of questions today!

Sarah - Craft Invaders August 1, 2016 - 5:04 pm

Some I dried myself and some I bought online. Mostly the ones I dried myself, I dried in bunches, mainly because I wanted a decent quantity, and also I think leaves dry better than flowers in the microwave. I think that generally the flowers look better if you start drying them when they are in peak condition – looking at the hedgerows my dried Meadowsweet and honeysuckle looks a lot better than what I see outside, the colour in particular, and of course things like the elderflower have all matured into berries now, so cutting it stops that process. I do throw the whole bag in the bath. Muslin bags are good because you can actually use them on the skin if you want to exfoliate, and they saturate quickly. Burlap would be lovely for something like bath salts, which you could tip out into the bath. Of course there is nothing to stop you tipping the herbs straight in – it’s just a bit of a pain cleaning the bath after. I would say any thing cotton would be good for bags, muslin can be used again – I wash it when I use it for things like preserve making (or draining things out of alcohol) and it comes up ok, although maybe not perfect enough for gift giving 🙂

Sam@Raggedy Bits July 28, 2016 - 3:33 pm

These sound absolutely divine! What a lovely gift idea as you said!

Sarah - Craft Invaders August 1, 2016 - 4:48 pm

Thanks Sam, they make a great little gift 🙂

Katrin July 26, 2016 - 6:55 pm

These are so beautiful, what a lovely lovely idea and homemade gift! I’d never use it because it’s so pretty but for sure have it up for decor!

Sarah - Craft Invaders July 28, 2016 - 3:32 pm

Thanks Katrin. It’d be lovely to add scent to a room too, although we try and make our gifts useful so that we don’t add to the number of things they already have in their home 🙂

Debbie July 26, 2016 - 9:32 am

Hi Sarah, I remember buying little herbal bath soaks for my Mum back in the day and I’m sure homemade would have gone down better. Love the way your herbs have retained their colour.

xx

Sarah - Craft Invaders July 28, 2016 - 3:18 pm

I think we might make some bath salts next, which is what I always remember from when we were young – they’ve got some fabulous benefits for your skin too, and are back in fashion now 🙂 The flowers are beautiful aren’t they, we only dried some of them ourselves though, some we bought 🙂

Linda Nelson July 26, 2016 - 1:54 am

So pretty. What a great little gift or party favor.

Sarah - Craft Invaders July 28, 2016 - 3:13 pm

Our teachers seemed delighted with them, and the kids loved mixing up the blends 🙂

1 2 3 4