1. First they SEE a tree that might be good for climbing
2. They THINK and decide if it is a good tree for climbing
3. They PLAN how they will tackle the first bit (my daughter said she plans it in eighths)
4. They DO the first bit that they had planned.
5. They then told me they repeat the process, until they get to the ultimate point they wanted to reach, or get stuck.
6. They then PLAN how to get unstuck or down
7. They then DO the unsticking (their words not mine!)
8. They repeat the process until down or stuck again
9. If all else fails call Dad
10. They also told me it is easier if you work as a team
Put this into adult language and you have Assess - Plan - Implement - Evaluate probably the most fundamental of all management models. Add in the teamwork, and knowing when to refer to a higher authority and the kids are starting to sound like they have Management Theory nailed. So the next time you watch a kid climb a tree, sit back and enjoy it - you are watching the fundamentals of management theory at work!